52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History Week #1 ~ New Year's

I decided this year to follow along with the 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History hosted by Geneabloggers.  Each week they post a topic, and wouldn't you know it I'm already a week behind. LOL!

Week 1: Did your family have any New Year’s traditions? How was the New Year celebrated during your childhood? Have you kept these traditions in the present day?!


New Years has never been a big celebration in our family.  I don't remember ever staying up as a child to watch the clock strike midnight, nor do I remember anyone in my family doing so.  We were usually all fast asleep by then. 
I do remember that we often would have a big supper on New Years day.  Some what like a mini revival of Christmas dinner.  More likely it would have been chicken or beef on the menu.  As a child our Christmas school holidays ran the week of and after Christmas ending with New Years.  So while New Years was the start of a fresh year, the following weekday was also time to head back to classes.
To this day our family doesn't celebrate New Years much.  Maybe some day that will change...



Labels: ,