Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Social Media Genealogy Meme

Randy at Genia-Musings has posted another great Saturday Night Blog Challange.

Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!): 

1)  Go to Jill Ball's Geniaus blog post describing A Small Social Media Geneameme.  Note the 8 questions. 

2)  Answer one, two, some or all of the questions in your own blog post, in comments to this post, in comments to Jill's post, in a Facebook Status post, or a Google+ Stream post.


 1. Tell us about your favourite social media tool and why you like it.
 

It would be hard to pick just one, but blogging would have to be it.  I've had a website/blog on different topics for the past 10 years.  They really help you to connect and share with other people who share the same interests.

2. How do you use social media to further your genealogy career or business?

 I don't run a genealogy business!

3. What advice would you give the cruiser who said “I must be living
under a rock” and is not sure about coming out from under it? (This came from my Social Media presentation)

 Jump in!  Social media has been a huge help for me in tracking down long lost family lines.  It is also a great way to keep up with the latest available resources for genealogy research.

4. What aspect of Social Media makes you grit your teeth?

The long and hateful posts on any topics but often politics that circle around places mainly Face Book.  These really serve no purpose other then to hurt most of the people involved.  I can't stand how people will hide behind social media to say cruel things they likely would not say in person.

5. How does social media assist with your CGD (continuing genealogical development)?

I use Google reader to keep up or try to keep up with many genealogy and technology blogs.  I love to know when new record sources come online.  I've also learned many new research strategies from reading blogs and chatting with people on Facebook and Google Plus.  I like to read technology blogs, mostly Linux related ones since that is the OS I use.  I always find new programs to help keep track of notes, photos etc.

6. How do you fit social media time into your busy day?

HA!  That is a challenge.  I'm a homemaker with young children, so my online time is limited.  If I have to choose between checking in on Facebook or research, I'll pick the research.  I don't go on Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus everyday, but I do try to check my blog reader.

7. Do you have a story of how social media enabled you to connect with a long lost relation or fellow  researcher?

Only one?  I have found many cousins on Facebook.  When I find an obit for a family member I always try to see if I can find the people mentioned on Facebook.  This has lead to some wonderful family connections, who have shared stories and photos with me.
I've met cousins through forum posts and WikiTree as well.


8. You have a minute to share a piece of advice about genealogy and social media. Go for it.

Use social media as another tool, enjoy it as a way to keep in touch with family and friends.  Don't let yourself feel like you MUST check every site through out the day, or run to your pc or phone ever time you get a new message.  Find the right balance for you!


Labels: ,