My AncestryDNA Ethnic Results

I recently shared the ethnicity results of MyOrigins Family Tree DNA results.  Last summer I also had my autosomal DNA tested with Ancestry.  This is a brief look at it's ethnic suggestions.

Family Tree DNA's MyOrigins showed I was 100% European with a break down of Western and Central Europe 50%, British Isles 32%, and Scandinavia 19%.

AncestryDNA shows me as 99% European and 1% West Asian.  Ancestry breaks their estimates down as 50% Irish, 27% Scandinavian, 8% Iberian Peninsula, 5% Great Britain 3% Eastern European, 3% European Jewish, 2% Finland/Northwest Russia, 1% Europe West and 1% Caucasus.



Ancestry's DNA map also shows it's results as a heat map when you click on a specific ethnic group. In the image above I click on the Ireland group.  When you do this it opens a graph under it and shows you the range you are matching this group.  As I mentioned in my other post ethnic DNA testing is still in the early stages and should be used as more fun then pure science.  The results largely depend on what testing groups the laboratory is using to compare your test to.

On the right side of the screen Ancestry also tells you about the average population of this area.  Below the map are more bar graphs showing how your DNA compares to that of other people from this area. In the example of my Irish DNA it could be as low as 36% and as high as 62%, Ancestry has suggested the proper range is 50%.  I think this is a bit high but I do have Irish lines on both sides of my family.

Have you tried AncestryDNA?  What did you think of your ethnic results?




Labels: , , , ,