My Origins Family Tree DNA Results

This past may Family Tree DNA updated their Population Finder, now called My Origins.  Two years ago (oh my has it been that long already?!) I posted my Population Finder results.  I thought it would be fun to compare this with the new My Origins.

Now it is important to remember that population finder type tests are fairly new and do not necessarily show all your ethnicity.  The autosomal DNA you inherit from your ancestors is random and even siblings can show different ethnic percentages in DNA testing.  It is still fun to look at the results!

The original Population Finder showed me to be all European.

Western European ~ French, Orcadian, Spanish 87.29% with an error margin of 8.57%
Europe ~ Tuscan, Finnish, Romarian, Russian, Sardinian 12.89% with an error margin of 8.57%

The new My Origins show me to be 100% European.  They now beak this down into 50% Western and Central Europe, 32% British Isles and 19% Scandinavia.


Looking at this map compared to the original Population Finder it is a little different.  Gone are the Finland and Russian suggestions.



When you expand the ethnic box it shows Western and Central Europe 50%, British Isles 32%, and Scandinavia 19%

The results are displayed as a heat map, so the darker the area the more likely you match that population.  At least that is my understanding.
I find this map to be pretty accurate of my heritage. The Scandinavia results are coming from my Great Grandfather Karl Oskar Andersson (AKA Joseph Oscar Anderson).  As for the rest I have English, Irish, Scottish, German and French on both sides of my family.  I also have some Native American mixed in with my Acadian.  This doesn't show up on My Origins or AncestryDNA's test, but does show up clearly on the population finders on GEDmatch.

Next I'll post my AncestryDNA ethnic results to see how they compare.






Labels: , , , , ,