Saturday Night Genealogy Fun ~ My Father's Mother's Patrlineal Line

I'm  joining in Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun meme this week.  This round is about your fathers, mother's paternal line.

1) What was your father's mother's name?

My father's mother was Margaret Alice (Colgan) Mills.  Margaret was born 10 August 1891 in Grey county, Ontario to John James Colgan (1854-1928) and Indiana Lovica Badgerow (1866-1937). She died 1 March 1965.


2) What is your father's mother's patrilineal line? That is, her father's father's father's ... back to the most distant male ancestor in that line?


Margaret's paternal line is:

John James Colgan (1854-1928) married Indiana Lovcia Badgerow (1866-1937)

George Colgan (1808-1895), married Eliza Smith (1822-1888)


3) Can you identify male sibling(s) of your father's mother, and any living male descendants from those male sibling(s)? If so, you have a candidate to do a Y-DNA test on that patrilineal line. If not, you may have to find male siblings, and their descendants, of the next generation back, or even further.


Margaret had 3 brothers that I know of.

John James Colgan (1898-1961), he married Mary Adeline Acheson (1902-1989).  They had 2 children that I know of.  One daughter Sarah Beatrice who died as a baby and a son Cephas Stanley Colgan 1931-2004.  I have no further information on this line.  Would be good to follow up on!

David Henry Colgan (1905-1991).  I don't have a wife or children listed for David.  I need to follow up on this to find out if he married.

Albert Wellington Carter Colgan (1913-1953).  Albert died young at only 40 years old.  I again don't have any further information on him.  

So Thanks to Randy, I've found some gaps I need to add to my to-do lists!  Unless David and Albert has sons, the only possible Y DNA candidate would be if Cephas had sons.  Y DNA testing isn't something I've ventured into yet, but I do hope to eventually.  My Colgan line being Irish has been a hard one to crack.  I have a possible set of parents for George Colgan my 2nd Great Grandfather, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet.  That's for another post!

4)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, or in a comment on this post, or in a Facebook or Google Plus post.


I just did! LOL!  If your related to this line I would love to hear from you!

Labels: , , , ,