Mary Daughter of Adam Howatt & Eunice Crossman NOT Buell & P.E.I. Newspaper Archives

Last January I posted that while searching for information on one of my 5th Great Grandmothers Eunice the first wife of Adam Howatt, I discovered a baptism index that showed her surname as Crossman not Buell.  Eunice has been a long time brick wall for researchers, township history books for P.E.I. list her as Eunice Buell but no source has ever been given for this surname.
I’ve been corresponding with my cousin Cindy who also works on my Howatt and Gardiner family lines.  We have since January been trying to find another record that would confirm that Eunice’s maiden is indeed Crossman and not Buell.  Last Sat. I came home to find an email from Cindy that she had found another record confirming Eunice’s maiden name as Crossman!  In addition to this thanks to Cindy I have found a great site for P.E.I. newspaper archives.  More on that at the end of this post.
My cousin had found the obituary of Mary Eunice Howatt who’s baptism record I posted about last January.  Mary Howatt married Edward Warren.  Her obituary states that she is the second oldest daughter of Adam Howatt and that Adam was married three times.  These are things that we already know, however the obituary says that his first wife was a Miss. Crossman!  BINGO!

Mary Howatt Warren Obit


Transcribed text of Mary Warren nee Howatt obituary.
Mrs. Edward Warren, who recently passed away at the home of her son Peter, at Clifton, had reached the advanced age of 91 years.  Her maiden name was Mary Howatt, and she was the second oldest daughter of the late Adam Howatt of Augustine Cove who was the father of twenty-six children, having been married three times; he died in his 93rd year.  His first wife was a Miss Crossman.  He was one of the pioneers of Augustine Cove.  Mrs. Warren was born in Augustine Cove, and when a mere lass was taken and adopted by Joseph and Mrs. Warren of North River, where she met her husband, the late Edward Warren, who predeceased her some years.  After her marriage she moved to Augustine Cove, where a family of eight was born to them-three daughters and five sons, after which they sold their farm and moved to Eel Creek, New London, where they purchased a farm and mill property.  Her three daughters were married-Caroline married Thanel Wright, Grace married Benj. Webster, and Ann the late W. B. Howatt, all of whom the old lady lived to see buried.  Her remains were interred in the cemetery of the Church of Scotland, at Cape Travers.  Services were held at the home in Clifton by the Presbyterian minister of Kensington, and the Rev. James McDougall officiated at the grave.  Mrs. Warren was consistent Christian woman, being a faithful follower of the late Rev. Donald McDonald, and one of the converts under the first revival of his ministry.  She leaves to mourn four sons- Edward at Burlington, Peter at Clifton and Fred and Donald in the United States and 45 grand children and 80 great grand children.  Her husband died seven years ago.  She also leaves to mourn five half-brothers and two half-sisters- George, John, William, Allen, James and Phoebe and Lydia of Denver, Colorado.
Source:
"Mrs. Edward Warren," obituary, Charlottetown (Charlottetown P.E.I.) Guardian, 23 January 1907, pg. 7, col. 4; Island Newspapers (http://www.islandnewspapers.ca/ : downloaded 6 September 2014).
Original image: http://www.islandnewspapers.ca/islandora/object/guardian%3A19070123-007

Free Prince Edward Island Newspaper Archive

Island_Newspapers

The past few years I’ve been doing some research on my P.E.I. and Nova Scotia families and found it frustrating how little information for these areas is online.  With my cousins email about the good news finding Mary Warren Howatt’s obit. I also “discovered” this great newspaper archive for P.E.I. called Island Newspapers.  I tried searching for online newspaper archives last year and couldn’t find anything.  Perhaps this is a newer site?
They’ve been working to digitize the newspaper archives of P.E.I. and according to their browse section have The Guardian from 1890 to 1958 with more to come.  Also the Haszard's Gazette 1851-1857.  It doesn't list the Charlottetown Gazette that Mary's obit was found in so perhaps there are more newspapers added that haven't been added to the browse page yet.
This is a wonderful website and very easy to use.  Newspapers can be searched by text or browed page by page.  I’ve already found some other interesting articles I will be posting about soon.

Labels: , , , , , , ,